Monday, December 29, 2008




When Is a Pattern Yours?

I crochet and have for many, many years. I have come to the point in my crocheting in which I don’t refer to any pattern. I see what I want to crochet (albeit crocheted, knitted, sewed, or manufactured), and I crochet something as close as I can get it. This leads me to a serious question: When can you call a pattern yours?



It is my thinking that most everything that can be done with yarn has been done, at least as regards to patterns. I see new yarns coming out all the time, and I know these “new” yarns are really new. There are yarns being made out of milk fibers and shrimp shells, for goodness sakes! But, patterns? I really don’t see much that is new.

But, I have seen the same pattern claimed by many. That is odd.

I crochet a skinny scarf I have been crocheting for years for gifts and to sell. It is a simple mesh stitch that I did not look up, but I know it must be a common pattern. It is just a simple mesh stitch all through the scarf. But, is it mine?

If I wanted to write a Crochet Pattern Book, what patterns can I claim? If I create something I haven’t seen before, at what lengths do I have to look to see if it is out there by someone else? I know I cannot claim the patterns I find and duplicate.

I found a beautiful pattern for a pair of fingerless gloves. This pattern is not mine. But, if I find a different stitch and make one in the same dimensions, is that mine? If I cut it quite a bit shorter, is it mine? If I trim it out differently, does that make it mine?

This topic has been heavy on my mind, lately, so I thought I would write about it. I would be so glad to hear any comments from anyone so inclined.

Thanks for reading me out! :)

ps: I will be introducing some of my hand crocheted pieces in my etsy shop this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment